CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Entrusted Treasure


I have been entrusted with a family heirloom, hand pieced quilt top, to finish for a friend. I feel so blessed to just be able to touch this wonderful work of art. This top dates back at least to the early 1800's. The friend's mother knows it was made by a great great grandmother who died in 1856. Grandma came over from Ireland and we believe brought some of these fabrics with her. The fabrics are all cottons that feel and look like old handkerchiefs or perhaps petticoat materials.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the block design is on this quilt? It appears to be a nine patch of some sort done on the bias. There are several blocks within the quilt, but at closer look, I believe she sewed it in bias rows. It full bed size and needs a border to finish the top and then of course I will hand quilt it for them.

I'm still thinking of how to quilt it, whether in the ditch on alternate rows, or perhaps thru the center of the blocks. Any ideas?

No comments: