CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Binding Lesson 101






I have been asked recently, "how do you attach your bindings so you don't have extra thickness at the end or joining?" People get to the final few inches of attaching their bindings and then get into a "bind" (no pun intended) on how to finish so the binding doesn't have that bunched up appearance or extra fabric at the end.

First, let me say that this is by no means the only way to do it, but for me, it is the simplest method and requires no math. It is just what works best for me personally. I can assure you no matter which method you use, the Quilting Police will not come and get you. As for width when cutting, my favorite measurement is 2 1/4" wide. Then when folded in half and stitched, it rolls over the edge real nice and leaves a binding that isn't too wide or too narrow.

The next question is whether to cut the binding on the bias or not. Again a personal choice. I choose to just cut the strips, then crisscross them (as in the first picture above) to attach them. By crisscrossing the fabric strips and sewing on the diagonal, I have created my bias strips the fast and easy way. My daughter, who just recently learned to quilt, said when I explained to her my method of attaching and finishing bindings and sent her the pictures, that she was able to immediately understand how to do it. Ahhhh, life is so much better with pictures, don't you think? So, whenever I am asked how to do bindings, I just send the pictures and it seems to help others as well. I hope this was as clear to you as it was for my daughter.

Just remember that when you get within about 6-8 inches away from where you started, to stop, take out the piece and scrunch it up (technical term), criss cross the strips, pin and see how it works. If you need to adjust, it's better now before cutting off that extra fabric, then after you have sewn and cut.

REMEMBER, don't cut away that extra fabric until you are certain it's going to work.

No comments: